Monday, June 10, 2013

Pancakes in Pajamas

Saturday's we have pancakes in our pajamas.  Matt lets me sleep in or lounge around while he and the boys make a big ol' fun mess in the kitchen.  The boys like to eat in their pajamas because every other day we get dressed before breakfast.  They make blueberry pancakes, coconut pancakes, pancakes shaped like letters, favorite color pancakes.  Last Saturday, Matt was gone, so I was on pancake duty.  I remembered some rainbow stacked pancakes that I had seen on Meaningful Mama.  She made them for St. Patrick's day, but I wanted to make them so they could explore and mix primary and secondary colors.  I implement her character development lessons often, and once in a while I will try a recipe of hers too.  This was just an idea and it was really easy.  I just took my favorite pancake recipe and divided the batter into 6 different bowls. I used only red, yellow and blue to make the 6 colors so they could see how mixing 2 primary colors made a different(secondary) color.  We read Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh before, to introduce what we were going to be doing.  It's a great interactive book about mixing colors.  They both helped add and mix ingredients. Tukker choose to pour the sugar in his mouth rather than the mixing bowl so he had to fold his hands and watch while Brekkon did colors.  Even though we had mixed color water before to achieve similar results the boys where still very impressed with the color mixing to form another color. The rainbow pancakes were a lot of fun to eat too!


No comments:

Post a Comment