Sunday, July 7, 2013

Honor

Early last week, but way too last minute, I was inspired by my husband's role in protecting our country and the upcoming holiday to do a week on "Honor".  My goal was to teach them different ways that we can honor God, our country and us(Mommy and Daddy).  This is what I came up with...

The first day we did our word ring word with a verse I love and our I will statement.   

"Stand firm, let nothing move you, always give yourself fully to the work of the Lord..." 
1 Corinthians 15:28


I will
-put my hand over my heart to say the pledge to the flag
-say thank you to the people who protect our country
-respect my Mommy and Daddy(always a good one to work on)
-honor God by loving and helping others 

The second day we did a flag art activity that I saw on Meaningful Mama, it turned out great!  It was a much longer activity than I thought and we broke it into 2 separate time segments. Tukker learned a lot about using scissors, and the "ah-ha" moment finally came.  Brekkon had lots of fun just snipping the paper and getting used to using them. He was so excited to find a red cool-aid man to add to the flag. 

Tukker counting and pasting 50 stars and Brekkon counting the 13 stripes

 We talked about saluting the flag, folding the flag, not letting it touch the ground, and other ways to honor the flag.  Matt and I were nearly scared out of our pants when both boys saw a flag waving while driving down the road and yelled "SALUTE!" from the back seat. I turned around and saw both boys with their hand over their eyes saluting the flag....Yay they got it(plus it was really cute)!! 

We Tye-dyed shirts and got ready to celebrate...that got messy really fast!

We went to the library and checked out some great american song books and some books about helping others.

As we drove away in the holiday traffic, Tukker yelled Thank you to a police women out the window.  Not exactly the model of appreciation I was trying to convey but he's getting the point. It was a fun holiday week of Fireworks, crafts, football, picnics and more fireworks!    


No comments:

Post a Comment